Monday, September 26, 2011

knit kick...

Its not really a secret that I've been buying yarn, a lot of yarn, lately.  Those pesky craft stores have been putting all of their reduced yarn in bins at crazy cheap prices.  I picked up the last two skeins of this extra thick purple yarn that is marketed as "thick and quick."  This means that you use very big needles and in no time at all, you have a super warm finished product.
Since I only had two skeins of this heather purple yarn, I knew I had to come up with a smallish project. I didn't want to make a hat, since the yarn is so thick, it would make a hat much too warm, even for Boston in January!  Plus, I've been making a lot of hats lately. I decided to make something new and different (for me, anyway).
kicking back

thick stitches, slight ribbing

To make these leg warmers, I decided how wide I wanted them to be, cast on that many stitches, and then kept knitting until I got to the end.  I wanted to make sure they didn't roll, which would be uncomfortable with such thick yarn, so I did put a small band of ribbing on the bottoms and then a wider band once I got to the top.  Each legwarmer took exactly one skein of yarn and they go to just below my knee.  They are really stiff, so there won't be any slouching. I can see now that I could have used bigger knitting needles, but what's the point of $1.97 a skein yarn if I have to spend $10.00 on new needles? These little leg warmers really were quick.  It only took three hours of knitting to make the pair.

No comments:

Post a Comment