Monday, April 9, 2012

improvising...

Because we live in such a small place, I don't really have the space available to really spread out and access my crafty supplies and materials the way I'd like to. I also have a long list of dream items that I'd like to add to my collection, but where would I put a serger sewing machine, a swift, or a ball winder? I already have little and big stacks of gear all over the living room of our place, not to mention two sewing machines.

I recently bought some yarn to start a new project. I choose 3 hanks Cascade 220, which come like this:


I needed to wind them up into balls to be able to use them, but I can't hold the yarn and wind the yarn all by myself without a swift and/or a ball winder.  I looked around the apartment and decided to try my sewing machine cover as a make shift swift. The hanks fit perfectly around the cover and I just stood over it and wound up the balls of yarn as I went. 

It worked perfectly, but that doesn't mean that I don't still NEED a swift and ball winder. And here's a quick snap shot of the beginnings of my project using this yarn:


No comments:

Post a Comment